At his most recent appointment, Nate's doctor reminded us that a word is any utterance that we understand when Nate uses it - no one else has to know what it means for it to 'count' as a word. Since then I have been thinking more about Nate's vocabulary and thought I'd try to do a run down for you.
Mama, Da Da, Na Na = me, Ed and Norma (his nanny)
Ball was probably his first word.
Bus and truck are pretty clear, but without the hard ending.
Dow = down
Daw/dog = dog
Mow = cat (trying to say Meow)
Duh/duck = duck
Wa = watch (as in Ed's wristwatch)
Agua = water, or something to drink
Nanna = banana
Ap-luh = applesauce
Doo Doo = cookie
Shooz = shoes or tissues (for his constantly runny nose)
I paw = his 'baby Ipod' that Edie gave him
Dis, dat = this, that
Ni Ni = night night
Bye Bye = bye bye
Hiya = hello (always with an enthusiastic wave)
Ba = bath
I am probably forgetting a bunch. He is starting to parrot us all the time so he is adding words pretty quickly. His comprehension, of course, includes many MANY more words and phrases. He doesn't say Yes or No, but his gestures are unmistakable.
Friday, February 08, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment